Position Announcement: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Charleston Moves encourages mobility by bicycle and on foot for the improved health and well-being of the greater Charleston region — our people, neighborhoods, business districts, and overall economic competitiveness.
We believe a bike-friendly region is a healthy, active, fun place to live, work, and visit. We are about creating community connection and making it easier for people to walk and ride a bike, whether it is out of necessity or choice.
The Board of Directors of Charleston Moves seeks a dynamic, committed Executive Director (ED) to lead our next phase of growth and effectiveness. The ED is the Chief Executive Officer of Charleston Moves. S/he reports to the Board of Directors, is responsible for adhering to our policy of constructive engagement with elected and public officials, and works with the community to advance Charleston Moves’ mission.
The ED, with the Board of Directors, is responsible for implementing the strategic plan and vision of the organization. The ED works with staff, board members, community partners, government agencies, and an active membership to keep our plan current and responsive to community needs and opportunities. The ED is responsible for managing a $250K budget and for successful fundraising through membership and special events, including an annual gala.
The ED manages, develops, and empowers a staff of ~3 people to conduct effective safe streets advocacy and encouragement programs such as CHS Bike Month. The ED serves not only as leader for the organization, but as spokesperson and community visionary for bicycle and pedestrian advocacy. The ED must have knowledge of bicycle and pedestrian planning best practices (i.e., NACTO guidelines, etc) and be an effective public speaker.
Management & Financials
- Work with Board to establish priorities and meet goals and vision of the organization
- Lead daily operations by outlying clear work plans that directly align with strategic plan
- Work with Board Finance Committee on annual operating budget and annual filings
- Oversee accounting activity, including payroll and monthly financial reporting (P&L, Balance Sheet, etc), with contracted bookkeeper
- Plan and facilitate bi-monthly Board meetings with Board Chair
- Oversee all programs and external organizational communications (MailChimp, social media, website, etc).
Advocacy & Government Relations
- Create and implement effective advocacy strategies to mobilize, empower and expand organization’s supporters and members
- Develop strong working relationships with elected officials in Charleston County
- Work directly with senior staff with the City of Charleston, Town of Mount Pleasant, City of North Charleston, Charleston County, BCDCOG, Sullivan’s Island, Isle of Palms, James Island and Johns Island
- Meet with elected officials of town and county councils
- Write op-eds and serve as thought leader / media spokesperson on mobility issues
- Regularly attend and testify at public hearings
- Direct all fundraising operations within scope of annual budget
- Plan and implement annual Lowcountry Giving Day fundraising
- Oversee Pedal & Panache, the organization’s annual gala event
- Ensure professional, organized New Belgium Clips Beer & Film Tour stop in Charleston
- Create End-of-Year fundraising plan and solicitation appeal with staff and graphic designer
- Grant writing experience and knowledge of local and national grant funding opportunities
- Significant experience leading nonprofit organizations
- Knowledge of equitable street design best practices and a demonstrated commitment to Charleston Moves’ mission
- Proficiency in budgeting and financial management, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- At least five years’ fundraising/membership-building experience
- Public relations, external communications, media relations, and marketing/social media skills
- Expertise facilitating participatory decision-making in an advocacy organization whose members hold diverse views
- Outstanding public speaking and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and engage and motivate small office staff
- At least five years’ experience managing people, including a demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and lead talented and committed staff
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
Salary & Benefits
We offer competitive salary and benefits including an employer contributed health/dental plan, three weeks paid vacation, professional development opportunities, and indoor bike parking. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter (very important) and resume, as one PDF, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line.
Charleston Moves is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.